Movie in Review - 'Highway'

Posted in By Unknown

Warning : If you enjoy typical Salman movies e.g. Dabangg or mindless comedies like Chennai Express or Grand Masti this film is definitely not for you. Please save your time, money and energy.

If I were to describe 'Highway' in two words, they would be "Beautiful" & "Honest". I always thought that Alia Bhatt couldn't act, however she has pleasantly surprised me as 'Veera', she actually nailed it or maybe it could be attributed to the directional skills of Imtiaz. The performance delivered by Ranadeep Hooda was excellent; he was amazing and very convincing as Mahabir, a dehati gujjar, simply perfect, couldn't think of anyone who could have done it any better.

The tracks Patakha Guddi and Maahi Ve are one best works of A.R. Rahman. Locations used are alluring and riveting, featuring some of the best Indian locations ever showed on screen. Cinematography and BG score are just the perfect blend and add to the story without going over the cliff. The pace is just right. There were technical issues however, I did notice a few bad G/S shots, very bad comp and bad lighting in a few places. You really have to nitpick if you are keen on finding faults. This film proves that a good cinema could be made with just a good story line, you don't always need grand sets, designer clothes or skin show/ item numbers to sell the movie.

I am a bit disappointed with the critics, whom I thought shared my taste, to give such low ratings to this marvelous movie. Next time perhaps I should trust my instincts rather than reading their reviews.

This movie has safely made its way to my 'favorite movies' list. Hats off to the director. My ratings 8.5/10, and an additional 0.5 for leaving me in tears at the end. Only one regret I should have watched it much sooner. 


-N